Are you struggling to stay on task and focused on what needs to be done? It’s easier and more fun to partner up with a friend do it together.
An accountability partner can help you stay focused and motivated as you work toward achieving your goals. My partner and I meet weekly by phone to check in and make sure we have done what we said we would do. She holds my feet to the fire, helps me work through the hard parts, and motivates me with her progress. We get more done because we know we have to check in with each other every week.
Take these 5 easy steps:
1. Select your partner. A friend, colleague, family member, or coach who is supportive and helpful is a good choice.
2. Have a regular time to check in weekly. Meeting weekly keeps you focused and accountable. It also helps you to break your goal down into small steps that you can take daily or weekly.
3. Commit to taking action every week. You can make time daily or weekly for what’s really important to you. Sometimes it’s as simple as completing a five-minute task that takes you to the next step and over a big hurdle.
4. Celebrate your successes; learn from your challenges. Every step toward your goal is a small victory, and small victories add up to big results. If you come across a challenge, brainstorm new strategies and tactics to overcome it.
5. Don’t give up! It’s about progress, not perfection. If you stray from your plan, start again right now and continue to make progress. Good enough is better than did not start.